Sunday, October 31, 2010

DID YOU WEAR YOUR REFORMATION RED THIS MORNING?

Gentle Readers,

If you wore your Reformation red to church this morning, then you must be a Lutheran.

And I think all us Lutherans should dress as Martin Luther for trick-or-treating and we can nail 95 feces  theses on 95 neighbors' doors. One per neighbor. I hope you don't have to travel too far to find 95 neighbors, but I suppose you could give extras to your favorite neighbors and cut down on the total number of neighbors required.

With all the dogs I have I don't think I'll have any trouble finding theses in my back yard.

I remember one Reformation when my Favorite Young Woman was the acolyte at church. A teacher from a private school, not the school F.Y.W. attended, gave the sermon. It was on the history of Reformation and it lasted at least an hour and felt like four.

If you're a Lutheran or if you listen to A Prairie Home Companion on NPR, then you know Lutherans don't go for hour-long sermons. We like our sermons quick and snappy. Get to the point, Pastor Inqvist.

F.Y.W. was sitting next to our young assistant pastor, who kept nudging her and teasing, Isn't this the most interesting sermon you've ever heard? Don't you just love this sermon?

She managed not to break out laughing. Shame on that naughty pastor, trying to corrupt an innocent young girl. You woulda thought he was a Catholic priest.

Oh, no, excuse me, they go for corrupting innocent young boys.

Lutherans, in general, have a pretty darn good sense of humor considering we eat mournful oatmeal and always expect the worst.

So, if you don't have a Martin Luther costume for tonight, borrow an acolyte's robe from your church and glue on a little beard and you're pretty much set.

Happy Halloween, you Reformationers!

Infinities of love,

Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.