Thursday, November 25, 2010

ARE YOU CARRIE, SAMANTHA, CHARLOTTE, OR MIRANDA?

Gentle Readers,

If you don't understand the meaning of my title, then you never watched Sex and the City.

And if you never watched Sex and the City, then you haven't had as much fun and laughter in your life as you could have.

I think those of us who watched faithfully tend to relate more strongly to one of our four friends. As a writer, I suppose I should be Carrie, but I'm not. I long to be Samantha, but in my heart of hearts, I know I'm Charlotte. A coworker once said to me, Lola, what are you doing here? You seem like the prissy type who wouldn't have to work.

Yup, that's me -- Charlotte. I could go on and on about the similarities between our sex lives, but let's not go there.

Anyway, Sex and The City 2 is now out on DVD and I watched it last night. It's not brilliant, but it's certainly better than Sex and The City: The Movie. The first movie didn't make sense half the time. It was a fashion show featuring fur and we are not talking faux. I have no idea how many little animals died to make that movie.

Sex and The City 2 still has all the gorgeous clothes, minus the fur, but it has more of a plot. It was even amusing on occasion.

Samantha Jones: [to Charlotte] Everyone knows you don't hire a hot nanny, it's the law! 
Carrie Bradshaw: Yeah, Jude Law. 


I was pleasantly surprised when Liza Minelli turned out to be the officiant and entertainment at Stanford and Anthony's wedding and it wasn't stupid and annoying. But why is Charlotte wearing a vintage Valentino skirt while making cupcakes in the kitchen with her little girls? And why is she so exhausted and miserable when she has a full-time nanny? Why does Samantha behave so badly in the United Arab Emirates? I know it's Samantha, but Samantha is intelligent enough to know better than to flaunt her body in that part of the world. And why does Carrie . . . Oh, that's enough. I'll let you watch it for yourself.

I must say, however, that they never should have let Jason Lewis (Smith Jared) go. He's barely in the second movie, and he's such marvelous eye candy. I really enjoyed his relationship with Samantha during the last season or so of the TV show, but the TV show was a different, funnier Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda world. I miss those women.

Infinities of love,

Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.