Tuesday, November 16, 2010

MY TOOTH FAIRY

Gentle Readers,

Our dear friend LegalMist is suffering. Tooth problems. No tooth fairy.

Her lack of a tooth fairy reminded me of a very happy time during my marriage.

I had to have two of my wisdom teeth extracted. My husband took time off from work and drove me to the oral surgeon's office and waited there until the teeth were gone and I was awake. He didn't drop me off at the door and go to do something else until a nurse called and said he had to collect me. No, he stayed there. I came to sobbing, for no reason. It just happens sometimes. My husband was so kind and gentle. The nurse told him to take me home and give me a milk shake and then 7-Up, and he did. He was so kind and gentle. This was a very long time ago, when Favorite Young Man was a cute little redhead in preschool and not a good-looking dude, 6'4", lots of tats. So my husband went to pick up our little boy, whom we loved so much, from preschool. Then he came home and he stayed home and took care of me and our little boy all day. The entire day. He rented Gone With The Wind for me and I watched it on the VCR, a relatively new contraption. He fixed more milk shakes and gave me my pain meds when I needed them. When the pain started to get to me after Gone With The Wind he helped me to bed. He didn't leave me the entire day.

But the sweetest part of the whole day was when I got into bed and the tooth fairy had left money under my pillow. I think it was 10 or 20 dollars - enough to actually buy something. It was such a kind and thoughtful thing to do, and I remember giggling with delight.

The future actually seemed bright then. Once upon a time.

Happy Thanksgiving to the only husband I will ever have. Thank you for taking care of me when I had my wisdom teeth out.

Infinities of love to you,

Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.