Monday, April 11, 2011

MORE CONNIVING CANINES

Gentle Readers,

I know I once told you the story of how Faulkner the collie managed to sneak around and steal the marshmallows off my cup of hot cocoa two nights in a row because he was so much smarter than I am.

Well, I don't think I've ever told you about Harper's cake thievery. I love The Cake Mix Doctor. Some of her cakes are better than others, but not one is bad. One of my favorites and a great selection for any occasion is Darn Good Chocolate Cake. It doesn't have any icing and it doesn't need it. It's a nice dense chocolate cake with chocolate chips in it. Mmmmmmm.

Well, after Harper had been with us a month or so, I made a Darn Good Chocolate Cake and set it back on the kitchen counter to cool.

A while later, I strolled out to the kitchen and Harper left the kitchen rapidly, licking his lips.

Half the cake was gone!

I made another Darn Good Chocolate Cake about two months later and set it out to cool, even farther back on the counter. Same thing. Harper comes out of the kitchen, licking his lips, half the cake is gone.

After that, when I baked a cake, I put it in a corner of the kitchen, way back from the edge of the counter, and put the heavy mixer in front of it.

Harper had taught me a lesson. I learn more from dogs than I could ever learn from people.

Infinities of love,

Lola

2 comments:

  1. When I was a kid, my cat once licked all the chocolate frosting off of my cupcakes about half an hour before the guests were supposed to arrive. My mom didn't have time to bake new cupcakes, so she just re-frosted the old ones and served them anyway.... nice, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom was smart. Why waste perfectly good cupcakes?

    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.