Wednesday, May 29, 2013

RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS AND THE HURRICANE

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,


I remain in random acts of kindness mode for the blogfest, but I hope that when this week ends, that kindness and gratitude will remain a permanent part of my blog.

Today I want to tell you about random acts of kindness involving My Darling Hurricane.

When she was in high school, I started working at the nursing home. She had never spent any time around elderly people. I don't think she'd ever been inside a nursing home. She'd done volunteer work, but it was at an animal shelter and at her prep school.

However, when I asked her to volunteer at the nursing home by bringing in her dog for visits, she agreed immediately and enjoyed the response to Emma the Labradoodle tremendously.



But then I asked her to volunteer by actually assisting me. She couldn't perform patient care, but she could fetch supplies and clean up messes. Again, The Hurricane agreed and was of such service to me that I was able to provide better care to patients.

One evening she went to work with me, and Anne, who had dementia and cried a great deal, was in the hallway in her wheelchair. Anne was so miserable. I don't think she really knew where she was or how in the heck she had gotten there.

But when Anne spied The Hurricane, her face broke out in a smile. I remember you, Anne said. I had you in class.

Without missing a beat, The Hurricane smiled and replied, You were my favorite teacher.

Anne beamed. She was absolutely radiant.

I was never more proud of The Hurricane, who was then a mere Storm Cloud. God gave The Hurricane the gift of a quick response that would make Anne happy. So many kids would have mumbled and whispered to Mom, What's she talking about?

From then on, every time Anne saw The Hurricane, her tears ceased, and peace surrounded her. Anne never again mentioned being a teacher, but she knew The Hurricane carried kindness.

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

(Note: Anne was never a teacher. Perhaps she taught Sunday School at a church and remembered it on that one occasion.)


34 comments:

  1. Hi Janie .. interesting storyline - it's that response in the elderly isn't it. My mother didn't have dementia - but the few times I had funny questions I followed the flow - made life easier all round.

    Such a wonderful story though .. good for The Hurricane .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I volunteered in a nursing home, we were told not to "encourage" the residents' delusions. But years later when I worked in one, we went with the flow and it helped calm people.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this brought a quick tear to my face! Love that response! Such a beautiful story, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelly. I admire your writing so much that a compliment from you is extra special.

      Delete
  3. that's sweet. My Foodie son works at a care facility and is growing to love and appreciate those older folks. It still bothers him when they lose one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people at our facility were so thoughtful that only one died when I was on duty. So I would come in and learn that someone was gone and I was sad, but I didn't have to see them after they died. I could remember them the way they had been. Death can be a very ugly business.

      Delete
  4. You have an awesome daughter...although I'm thinking I don't need to tell you that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit she's pretty cool, even though she tells me, Mom, I know you think you're funny, but you're not.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like your Hurricane rained nothing but sunshine on Anne!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You also have to be super smart to not miss a beat with that response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's very intelligent except when she tells me I'm not funny. Of course, she'll say that and then 10 minutes later we'll get started chatting and we almost always laugh hysterically. I'm not funny my aunt's fanny.

      Delete
  7. They have some cats at my gran's care home but don't allow them upstairs where her floor is. I don't get it - the whole purpose of getting them was therapeutic, so they said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't make sense. I did a practicum at a nursing home that had a cat, and worked at a couple that had dogs. The animals went wherever they wanted. The residents loved them. The cat liked to curl up on the top of the clean laundry cart, which was pretty high up. He'd stay in his spot as the laundry workers took the cart up and down the halls. At the places with dogs, we all pitched in to care for them and take them out.

      Delete
  8. Your daughter is so sweet! You must be so proud of her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a proud mama. My son is very sweet, too.

      Delete
  9. I love this story, Janie. Hurricane is a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this heartwarming story. It's wonderful knowing that such thoughtfulness is still possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I'm sure you've had many proud moments with your son. You don't write about him much, but maybe he doesn't like it if you do? My kids don't like it when I write about them so they don't read my blog.

      Delete
  11. Aw, love that! What a sweet girl your hurricane is, because not only did she have a quick answer, but that she cared enough to even be there in the first place. You have every right to be proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww. What a sweet story. Your daughter is a real sweetheart, but I suspect she grew up with a terrific role model. Like mother, like daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet! I think animals and people (especially the very young and very old) can relate instinctively to a person's very aura. :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree because I know you know what you're talking about.

      Delete
  14. Great story and lovely daughter...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the sweetest story. I LOVE it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe The Hurricane takes after her older sister.

      Delete
  16. Awesome Hurricane; not the least bit destructive. Well, at least in this story. A blessing for those whom she meets.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting
    Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can be a whirlwind when necessary. Blessings to you, too, Rob-bear.

      Delete
  17. What a wonderful story, you must be so proud of your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Inger. I'm sickeningly proud of all my children, including the dogs.

      Delete
  18. Yes I do not think there is any harm in going along with their delusions if it helps them to be calm.............I loved that the hurricane was quick to go with the flow

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.