Saturday, June 6, 2015

BIG BATTLE OF THE BANDS ANNOUNCEMENT TOMORROW

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

You have until midnight tonight (it's Saturday, June 6th, 2015) to cast your vote in my Bohemian Rhapsody Battle of the Bands.

Click here to see the post and vote, if you haven't already. It's Wayne and Garth (with Queen) v. The Muppets. Tomorrow I'll cast my vote, struggle to add the total number of votes, and then announce the winnah.

Yesterday I wrote a post about how much it bugs me to try to talk to call center reps in India. Click here to read the post.

I want to add something about pay in call centers. ABC News reports that the average India call center pay is $2,400 a year. The average American working in a U.S. call center allegedly earns $20,000-$40,0000.

I've never worked in a call center. I've also never earned $20,000. The most I've ever earned in a year is $18,000.

Yeah, small town newspaper journalists don't earn diddly squat. Considering I can't find a job, I would be super grateful to earn $20,000. I also suspect that $2,400 goes a lot further in India than it does in the U.S.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

8 comments:

  1. I commend you for budgeting so well on the amount of money you have earned last year. It is very difficult to maintain housing expenses, insurances, transportation, food, toiletries, pet needs plus all the rest when one makes a limited amount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you, Birgit, but I have more now because of maintenance (alimony),

      Delete
  2. I imagine the pay in India goes further too, Janie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think they have to pay them higher wages here because no one wants to work there? That seems like a tremendous amount of money for working at a call center. I knew a woman who worked at one for a catalog company in Minnesota--well, no one worked full time there. Everyone worked part time and had no medical insurance. I don't know what she made an hour, though. I worked at one for a summer in college here and made minimum wage. Dagan worked at one for a while and made a little over minimum wage. I wonder where they can make $40,000 a year in the states?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I got the numbers from a news story.

      Delete
  4. I voted. I read about the Indians. I think I made $15,000 at my first job, back in the eighties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I made about $15 during the eighties because I stayed home with the kids.

      Delete
  5. You go girlfriend, keep it up !
    Can't wait for Monday and the results !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.