Sunday, August 21, 2016

LOGGINS & MESSINA TELL THE DIRT BAND, YOUR MAMA DON'T DANCE AND YOUR DADDY DON'T ROCK AND ROCK

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

You turned out in droves to vote in the August 15 Battle of the Bands. The song was House at Pooh Corner, written by Kenny Loggins as he faced the prospect of his high school graduation and leaving behind all that was familiar to him.

It might seem to be a children's song, but it if you listen carefully, it has more of a loss of innocence vibe, as does the last chapter of The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne when Christopher Robin's carefree days of childhood end.

Christopher Robin was going away. Nobody knew why he was going; nobody knew where he was going; indeed, nobody even knew why he knew that Christopher Robin was going away. But somehow or other everybody in the Forest felt that it was happening at last.

Of course, Christopher Robin will go away to school, and he tells Pooh, "I'm not going to do Nothing any more." But we're left with the knowledge that "in that enchanted place on top of the Forest, a little boy and his bear will always be playing."

Personally, I'm not ever going to reach that silly point of not going to do Nothing. I shall always do Nothing in my enchanted place.

I have promised Penelope and Franklin.

Now for the winners of the Battle of the Bands:

Loggins and Messina           23

The Nitty Gritty Dirty Band  6

I didn't vote because it's quite a decisive victory.

Loggins and Messina were a successful pop/rock duo from 1970 to 1976. After they split up, Jim Messina pretty much disappeared, while Kenny Loggins became a huge draw during the '80s. Didn't we all cut Footloose?

Thank you to Mr. McCarthy for hosting our Battle of the Bands. I enjoyed all the other battles. 

I'll be back on September 1 with another battle, but I hope to see you before then so we can learn new grammatical skills together. And perhaps we'll get in a book and a movie review here, there, and everywhere.

Kenny Loggins and Jim Messina, will you please sing us out with something cheerful?


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug, who remains in her Enchanted Palace, guarded by Franklin and looked askance at by Penelope




16 comments:

  1. I love reading he comment section when you post a battle!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had time to read more comments on other blogs. I quite often learn something when I do so, or I get a good laugh.

      Delete
  2. I always miss your battles, but at least I learned something here. I had no idea that there was a Messina to go with Kenny Loggins. We live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always felt sorry for Jim Messina because he seemed to disappear.

      Delete
  3. I've never cut Footloose but I have been to the Danger Zone a time or two.

    What a great battle. Childlike imagination wins once again. Now that that's done, I'm retiring back to my pillow fort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You took the highway to the Danger Zone, right? My fort is under a card table that's covered by a blanket.

      Delete
  4. Such a decisive battle. Congrats, Janie! :) I was on the losing side - oh well. Better luck next time. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a punctuation question for you to address. If one is writing in first person (indicated by the chapter heading), and another individual speaks up, how do you address the punctuation, and how do you get back into the original speaker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I address this on a Tip Tuesday or a Friday Q&A, and can you give me an example? I think I know what you mean, but I'm not absopositivalutely one hundred percent sure.

      Delete
  6. Hokey-Smoke, LOVE JANIE, yer doin' something right. Great voter turnout. And I'm glad to see that most of 'em voted for Kelly's Song.

    This may not have been a close Battle but I loved it. And thanks again for dedicating it to little ol' me and all my friends in the 100 Acre Woods.

    TTFN...

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'd like to see Christopher Robin's friends in the New York Public Library.

      Delete
  7. POSTPOOP:
    And, hey, Love Janie, no reason to feel bad about Messina. After he and Loggins split, he went to POCO, a band he'd formed after leaving BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD (whom he was with prior to joining Loggins), and POCO had some Top 40 hits.

    So, Jim Messina didn't disappear from the music world after the split from Kenny. He still had success, but he'd kinda gone underground. ("Yeah, underground, man." -Cheech Marin)

    Well, I'm off now to watch the old movie 'NETWORK' because that's just the kinda guy I am (and because there's more truth to be found in old movies than in today's newspapers).

    TTTNT (Ta-Ta 'Til Next Time...)

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Poco. I didn't know he was in Buffalo Springfield. Okay. I'm done feeling sorry for him. Network is a great movie. I haven't seen it in years. Angle your monitor so I can see the movie through it.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.